Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Matter of Self Dignity

I am going to leave architecture and, the building and construction industry for good. It has come to a point where I am ashame of my profession. It is undeniable that the field of architecture is headed towards self-destruction and is highly hyprocritical.

I am also leaving because I am ashamed at myself for not having thought through architecture in the depth which I should have before I decided pursue architecure and still not doing so out of ignorance, during my 5 years of study.

I have had enough. I maybe a bloody good architect; one of the so called guns in uni and am highly sought after at the workplace but no matter how I try to reason, I cannot find any rational reason except for the sake of an inflated ego, to justify to continue on working as an architect.

Hence I am walking...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and exactly where are you walking to?

2:16 AM  
Blogger George said...

Why? As an architect you can make a difference. You can develop, create and build new structures to house those most in need for minimal funds. Look at the people in Haiti ... 2 million homeless?
If you were a gunner in uni then you should have developed your own vision of how to build for everybody. Screw the billion dollar structures, screw the rows of cookie cutter houses, screw the much sought after prestige buildings ... do something for you, for humanity and for the the planet.

Go for it hot shot, make a difference that few can make. Don't be a quitter. The world needs more gunners to help make this place a better place. Too many are self absorbed and interested in the cash and reputation.

Make a difference and feel good about yourself and the profession that you have chosen.

Be well.

6:31 AM  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Funny: been balling on a couple of ideas but they're still in their infancy, will need more time before I can truly decide.


George: Appreciate it mate, you comment reflects a lot on your kind and giving nature.

There are many other ways to make an impact on the matters you've raised; what you have proposed is utopia (donating say a million dollars directly would have made a substantial and immediate impact as opposed to trying to effect change via design).

In that, I too would say that too many architects are too self absorbed in their ideals that they become so remote to the reality around them , theorising then pilling up unbuilt design and design for utopia.

As much as you, I and many others despise it, cookie cutter apartments are here to stay, there will be millions out there who will design and build them even if you and I won't (I would though, highrise design is my cuppa).

The world is governed by the flow of money, otherwise also known as economy which in latin means house (eco) rules (nomic).

My point is I would rather ride a pony than to flock a dead horse, at least it would bring me somewhere.

Just a matter of differing opinion. Cheers buddy, be well too!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Fusion said...

Your post had a lot of heart. I commend you.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home